Wednesday 23 February 2011

So, that's where the burning smell was coming from!

RCF Art 322A bass driver - burned out!
Andy pointed out to me that there was a problem with one of our monitors at DC, an RCF Art 322A.
My ears had been blocked up with a cold so I wouldn't have been able to tell... but I had noticed the smell... just hadn't thought about it!

Here is what I found inside the cabinet! Oh well... only £189 +vat and delivery for a replacement!!!

Anyone knows who makes these drivers, I'd be happy with an OEM if it were half the price.

Next consideration is to put some limiting on the system it's used in... I've been trusting the users not to overdrive the speakers... 1st mistake!! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Ah, of cause. RCF make their own drivers!
    But still, why would a replacement driver be nearly a 1/3 of the value of the box?!
    Feckers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mind... I did eventually buy through Stage Electrics and got a closer to dealer price. And a re-cone kit to play with :)

    ReplyDelete